Ride Guidelines and Etiquette
WINTER BIKE LEAGUE- 2019 RIDE GUIDELINES
The WBL hosts the best structured training rides on the planet. The WBL has its own special flavor and we specialize in long winter rides at a solid, steady tempo. But we are more than just a ride, we are a community, a social network, a family, and we look out for our brothers and sisters of the road. Safety and a great training ride are two of our more important objectives. All riders must (1) obey the rules of he road, and (2) riding double-file at all times...at all times...at all times. More on this below.
The WBL rides are inclusive rides and are not designed to intentionally drop riders, but neither do we coddle the spoiled, sniveling masses. Rides are ridden at a steady tempo and our goal is to ride smooth and steady, avoiding rapid accelerations and decelerations, the entirty of the ride. We try and hold a steady, solid, tempo for 4 hours, averaging 20 or more miles per hour, and if you cannot hold that type of tempo and pace, these rides are not for you.
OUR MANTRA: CRUISE THE FLATS, KICK BACK ON THE CLIMBS, PUSH THE DOWNHILLS.
You should have experience riding in a pack before attempting a WBL ride. These are not the rides to learn how to ride in a pack. Interactive Maps for all rides are available on the website - load it into your Garmin. It is up to each rider to get through the ride and get home on his/her on! The WBL will assist all we can.
We try and provide a Sag Car (follow car),but we cannot gurantee one. Riders must be prepared to fend for themselves;take what you need to survive without assistance. The Sag waits on those who flat or has a mechanical but you should not rely on the Sag Vehicle to get you home;because it may be attending someone else, etc.
*Riders should have the route on his/her Garmin (or be with a friend who has it), have money, spare tubes, a cell phone, food and proper clothing. The Sag is not for dropped riders, there isn't enough room, simply follow your map and ride in at your own pace and have a great ride anyway. Some riders will be riding a "short loop" oftentimes.
You ride these rides at your own risk. You assume all risk of injury. These roads are open to traffic. Be smart and patient entering and leaving Athens. Obey stop signs and lights, we'll regroup. Never take your hands off the bars. Show respect for the communities we ride through and the motorists we encounter.
If you follow these guidelines and the ones below you will have a great ride:
1. *Ride two abreast at all times. Obey all rules of the road. (Red lights and stop signs). If the pack splits on the way out of town, don’t worry, we’ll regroup. Keep your eyes and ears open.
2. Essentials/what to bring: the map, money, food, drink, spare tubes, adequate clothing, a cell phone, common sense and a helmet. Load the map into your Garmin, print the que sheet, or know the route by memory. We have 1 pre-announced pee break (@ 1 hour in) and 1 store stop (@2 hours in).
3. Sign in – you must sign in to earn points..
4. No whining. You may silently curse your wreteched fate.
5. You ride at your own risk. Participating in these rides, the sprint-attack zone, and sprinting is optional and you assume all risk of injuries. You agree to ride safely at all times and obey all rules of the road. You have to be able to get back to the start of the ride on your own. All Attack Zones and Sprint Zones are listed on the WBL site and announced before each ride. YELLOW LINE MUST BE OBSERVED // AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
6. We will try and have a follow vehicle (Sag wagon), but can never guarantee one. If you flat, switch wheels out quickly and rejoin the pack, either by chasing or hopping in the car. If you can't hold on, don’t worry, follow your Garmin home and have a great ride. The Pack will keep moving forward at all times except store stops and pee breaks.
7. We have a handicapped points system that allows Cat. 3s, 4s, Vets and Females to compete on an equal footing with Pros.
8. If you flat, the SAG car will provide a spare wheel if available. Change you wheel quickly and either motor back to the pack, or hop in the SAG car and it will drive you back. If you flat before the store stop, fix your flat at the stop so we can make the spare wheel available for someone else on the return trip. If you flat after the store stop, return wheel to the SAG car at the finish of the ride.
9. Please show respect to motorists and the communities we cycle through. Stay two-across and obey the rules of the road.
10. In case of rain or other inclement weather, we may shorten or cancel a ride, but, we will always try to do a shortened ride for points and prizes. CHECK THIS SITE and WBL FACEBOOK for weather updates as each ride draws near.
11. Learn to love to pull. If you pull, never coast, especially downhill. To pull is to pedal.
13. Never forget to have fun, every ride is an adventure.
THE BOARD OF THE WBL!